Mandatory ethics training requirements for new and continuing REALTOR® members were established by the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) Board of Directors in 1999 to heighten member awareness of the key tenets of the Code of Ethics; to create an awareness of and appreciation for the role the Code can and should play in their professional lives; to enhance professionalism and competency; and to encourage REALTORS® to view their Code of Ethics as a living, viable guide in their daily dealings with clients, customers, and the public.
Note: On November 13, 2020, NAR’s Board of Directors added Standard of Practice 10-5 to the Code of Ethics, and amended Professional Standard #29, both of which are effective immediately. For details on all the changes adopted, visit Code of Ethics & Professional Standards Policies.
REALTORS® are required to take a Code of Ethics course once every three-year cycle. For example, any REALTOR® who does not complete a qualified (NAR approved) ethics course between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2021, is in violation of a membership requirement, and their membership will be suspended until the requirement is met. NAR defines suspension as “… suspension of all Board/Association-provided rights, privileges and services” including those provided by the state and national association, and including use of the term REALTOR®.
Do I need to take the Code of Ethics?
If you are not sure whether you have fulfilled this requirement, check your Code of Ethics Status (login required). If you cannot access your records and are a member of SAAR, call 480.945.2651 during regular business hours.
How to Complete Your Ethics Requirement
- Visit the Scottsdale Area Association of REALTORS® (SAAR) class calendar for our upcoming Code of Ethics courses. These courses meet the triennial ethics requirement and provide three (3) hours Commissioner’s Standards continuing education (CE) credits.
- A non-CE version of the NAR Code of Ethics course is available online to existing members for free.
- CE versions of the NAR Code of Ethics are also available through one of our online education partners:
- Other associations or real estate schools may offer classes that meet NAR’s standard for the Triennial Ethics Requirement. If you have completed a course or are thinking of taking a course that says it “Meets NAR Requirement for Biannual Code of Ethics”, please call SAAR at 480-945-2651 to verify the class qualifies and so we can update our records.
- Send in your Certificate of Completion.
If you do not take your ethics course through SAAR, please be sure to provide us with proof of attendance in the form of a certificate from a NAR-approved triennial ethics course. Note: Uploading the certificate to the Arizona Dept. of Real Estate (ADRE) does not notify SAAR. You must send a copy of your certificate to info@ScottsdaleREALTORS.org or fax it to 480.422.7945. However, if you took the Code of Ethics through SAAR, it is not necessary to send us your certificate as we will have it on file.